Flying to Canada? Learn about Canada’s new entry requirements!

On November 10, 2016, the Government of Canada is implementing a new electronic system to assist airlines in verifying that all travellers have the appropriate documents to travel to or transit through Canada by air.

Starting November 10, foreign nationals who do not require a visa to travel to Canada (except United States citizens) will need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to board their flight to Canada.

As well, Canadian citizens – including dual national Canadians – will need a valid Canadian passport in order to board their flight to Canada. American-Canadian dual nationals may continue to travel to Canada using a valid United States passport.

If travel is required urgently, a temporary passport can be issued in less than 20 days if a regular passport cannot be processed in time. The temporary passport can then be exchanged at a later time for a regular passport. If that option is not available, an emergency travel document may be issued for a single journey to Canada.

However, both temporary passports and emergency travel documents are issued only under strict conditions. Canadian citizens are strongly encouraged to renew or obtain a Canadian passport as soon as they can to avoid missing their flight to Canada. There are 219 missions abroad in 147 countries issuing travel documents.

As always, Canadian permanent residents will require a valid Canadian permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document to fly to Canada. Visa-required travellers will also continue to need a valid visa in order to board their flight to Canada.

Learn more about travel and entry requirements for Canada on the Government of Canada’s website.